Thank you for your patient referrals to Sullivan Physical Therapy. We promise consistent communication with our patients’ referring healthcare providers. We look forward to working with your office.
Does my patient need a prescription to receive physical therapy services?
- In the state of Texas, a physical therapist can evaluate and treat a patient for up to 10 business days without a prescription. After 10 business days the patient will need a prescription from a physician, dentist, chiropractor, podiatrists, physician assistant, and/or advanced nurse practitioner to continue treatment. You may fax or email a prescription to our clinic prior to the patient’s appointment or you may give it to your patient to bring with them on their first appointment.
Who can write an order for physical therapy?
- A physical therapist may accept a referral from any practitioner authorized by law to prescribe treatment. This includes Physician Assistants and Advanced Practice Nurses of all types (midwives, clinical specialists, FNPs). The referring practitioner must be licensed or authorized to practice, but not necessarily by a Texas Board.
Can a physical therapist accept a referral from a healthcare provider outside of the United States?
- Yes. The physical therapist accepting the referral is responsible for ensuring that the practitioner is legally able to practice in that country, and legally authorized to write a referral for treatment in that country. This is no different than what is required if a physical therapist accepts a referral from a source in the United States, but it does leave it up to the physical therapist to determine the country’s requirements.
What needs to be on the prescription for my patient?
- The patient’s name, date of prescription, diagnoses and signature. If you need more prescriptions you can either contract our office or click on the links below.
What if I need more information prior to sending my patient to your practice?
- Please contact our office and we will send an informational packet about our clinic and pelvic health physical therapy.
If you have any additional questions please contact our office at (512) 335-9300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.